Sunday, August 4, 2013

Finding Beauty

So it has been a long time since blogging regularly and a new chef job and some pushing from great women have encouraged me to crank that engine again.  However, I am not sure exactly the direction this might go.  It really started out as a recipe blog for gluten free experiences, then turned into a health rant, and now…not sure, but it will be neither of those in totality. I don’t believe one theme describes the whole picture—and this picture is not something I see in currently, but will gradually take form. 

Do I still want to write about food?  Yes.  Add to that more about justice, some policy, helpful ideas, health and just plain enjoyment of it.  I was definitely one on the low fat buzz, low carb fixation, and bad fats good fats drama…However, up front here:  One of my favorite foods is a hamburger with green chile.  I love beans and greens, oats, almonds, strawberries, coconut, peanut butter, beer, wine and coffee.  I love food, especially when there is love put into it. And places like ConAgra, Hostess, and Tyson do not really care about you or me, so I stay away from those guys and their synonymous competition. 

And I am not here to tell you how to lose weight.  I have been a stick and I have gained weight and unfortunately I have struggled with idealizing weight with my self-worth and I am sick of it. I do think it is important to feel good and be healthy so that you can do the tasks, hobbies that are necessary to enjoy your life.  Food is not the only driver to this blog, although it is the central premise.  There are so many other contributions to whole health and I hope to share that with all of you and I hope that you all will share it with me. 

The past 2 weeks, I have spent time not only looking for work, but finding beauty.  This has been rough as someone who is sensitive to many of the injustices in the world.  Graduate school has built me up in a huge way, but it has also stripped me.  I don’t regret it, but I discovered that many of my connections are through Facebook and I need more than that.  So my recap.

Started with the gorgeous community garden and so much rain that it takes care of itself.  I actually got to see a talented group of poets and readers describe what a lot of us feel, except I don’t feel like the last suicidal hamburger unless I don’t get this extension job I am really excited about to the point of desperation.  I have been going out and spending time with others besides family functions.  I sit outside with neighbors till late at night while the kids ride bikes and eat ice cream for dinner.  We are so broke, meaning that I have to pull out some tricks up my sleeve that I used to do to survive while a single parent.  Yet, I am having a great summer because I am experiencing new and enjoyable activities-at home. 

Click this link to access some of what I have had the opportunity to share this week. I will be posting recipes directly on the blog.

*a little about the photo...I was making a roasted cauliflower dish with garam masala, tumeric, paprika, cumin and curry powder sprinkled with an entire lemon squeezed on all the cauliflower and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.  You could use any citrus and garlic as well.  I thought the spice mix was really pretty so my helper in the kitchen told me to take a picture of it.  So, I did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment