Monday, June 6, 2011

Greatness

I have had some great successes.  I am the mother of a middle schooler.  I received permission to start a small school garden outside the school greenhouse.  I have made it two years with two kids.  I know to some, that is not a lot of kids, but it is to me so save it.  To celebrate, I had a modest birthday party for my baby.  We had some excellent batter fried shrimp and flat iron steak, salad, potatoes and cookie monster confetti cake.  On the downside, my oldest had to go to urgent care due to some major back up in the gut.  He eats very healthy, but kids and water intake sometimes don’t mix because after school is out, they want to play in the sun and heat. You know, swimming, running, riding bikes.  They are so busy that water is the last thing on their mind.  As much as we tell my oldest to drink water, he still forgets to tell himself.
 I admit, I get a little lazy and I don’t have fresh cold water to gulp down on a hot summer day.  I don’t know why.  I really enjoy it, especially if I have a lot of cucumbers on hand to slice up and put inside that icy pitcher.  Typically, I like to hold on to my cukes for salads and snacking, but water is just as important.  I am waiting patiently until I have a surplus of cucumbers growing in the yard so I can plop some slices into an ice cold pitcher of water.  Cucumbers are not cheap.   This is really sad that I have to save my cucumbers and I know many forgo even buying cucumbers or other fruits and vegetables because of the price.  Honestly, growing veggies is the cheapest way.  I can get a packet of seeds and end up with a hundred cucumbers or other vegetables. 
I think that so many people lose hope and just try to survive and at least try to accomplish some things in life.  It is easy to just settle for good enough rather than strive for greatness.  I have learned to not try so hard to figure out what greatness is, but to do things that make me feel great, not just good.  Starting a school garden makes me feel great not only because the students and staff can really use this garden for school projects and curriculum development, but also because gardening is very therapeutic.   I don’t know if gardening is the answer for everyone, but I know that everyone I know who takes care of something, even if it is a plant or a poem have nothing but pride to show for it because whatever it is, it is your language of love.
Here is some love language to share that is good for children and good for you.  Put your feet up and drink something pure.
Fruit and Veggie Water Ideas
First fill a pitcher with ice cubes and water then add the following or a mixture of any combination
Cucumber slices
Watermelon chunks
Melon chunks
Halved grapes
Halved cherries
Sliced strawberries
Whole blueberries
Whole black berries
Bell peppers??
Any citrus zests or slices
Mint leaves
Rosemary sprigs
Basil leaves

No comments:

Post a Comment