Monday, April 11, 2011

Just a Mom

Well it is April and it has been an impossibly busy month so far.  My blog is even a little late because of all the happenings and homework.  My sister-in-law is getting married on April 30 and so weekends are full of fun things to do.   Gardening in my yard is taking over my life especially since we have had some dreadful winds wipe out any water for the vegetables.  I feel lucky to have clay soil so it holds the water, but the tops of the garden beds have been so dry and crusty that I think that I might have to replant carrots, chard, and spinach. The newspaper and straw that I laid down between the beds blew everywhere, so that is another project I have to redo. Pretty frustrating!! The mesclun, peas, tomatoes, basil, parsley and hopefully head lettuce and cilantro are doing ok. 
This past week, I have done some reflection of what the semester has been like and well I guess the most I can say is it has been humbling.  I struggle with balancing time with homework, cooking, cleaning, gardening, children, and husband.  In the meantime, I am also trying to look for part-time work, although, work is not one of my priorities.  
School work has by far been the most humbling.   I want to integrate my life with school and I ‘think’ I am doing a good job, but I feel like I have to put on a different hat when I go to class, except I leave the newspaper pirate hat on instead.  I admit, I feel kinda dumb.  I sometimes feel like I don’t belong with these scholarly types because I am just a mom.  I know, I know we all say, “but moms work so hard.” “You are a great mom.” I don’t doubt those things, but it amazes me that this job seems so useless and shielded when getting out into the world.  I don’t feel sorry for myself, but I question my abilities and wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew so tonight, I will eat some soft foods.
Beans and Greens
Kale is awesome, and so healthy. Beans are awesome and healthy.
1 lb soaked beans (any variety) I always have pintos
1 bunch of kale or any variety of leafy green
Salt to taste
1 cup of chopped green chile w/ salt and garlic chopped in –or-
1 cup of pureed red chile sauce w/salt, garlic, and oregano mixed in
Cheese and cilantro for serving
Should serve 6
Throw a pound of soaked pintos into a slow-cooker along with a bunch of kale, chard, spinach or other green that meets your fancy.  Add about 6-8 cups of water depending on how soupy you want this dish to be.  I really just like the flavors of this with a little sausage or salt pork.  I have had it with chicken sausages, pork sausages, and ham.  I serve this with either red or green chile and cornbread.  It looks like a really brown soup so ladle some in a pretty bowl sprinkle some yellow cheese and cilantro or chives on top and you just prettied it up enough to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment