Monday, April 18, 2011

Body Value

By now my readers know what a food narc I am.  I try not to be so pushy, but I do long for a society of health and a good place to start is our bodies.  After conferring with classmates this past week, I am contemplating what a healthy body means. 
Two of my classmates are writing a grant for a girl’s wilderness organization.  This program is an intervention that discourages risk behaviors like drug use and teen sex by helping girls form healthy friendships while hiking, camping, mountain climbing and community service.  The point that really stuck out to me was their statement about allowing girls to think of their bodies as useful and trustworthy so that they can achieve goals through this most valuable vehicle.  This program does not focus on what bodies look like or BMI.
What a concept.  Our bodies are useful for more than sex. At least that is all I hear about in so much of our popular culture.  I had a light bulb moment and thought “Duh, we are capable of sex. Let’s focus on how else we might be capable.”  I know that the health industry also bombards us with the fear of disease if we look like this or that, which only goes so far.  I think if my doctor told me, “you need to lose weight or you will get a disease.” I would walk out depressed.  I think a better approach would be to ask me what I enjoy doing and supporting me with a comment like, “Let’s work together so that you can do that more often.”  However, I don’t know if this is the right angle, but scare tactics may not always work.  I do know that there is so much negative reinforcement about our chances of getting diseases or our lack of sexual boosting abilities. 
Bodies are our vehicles of pleasure and experiences.  They help us achieve so many goals.  We depend on our bodies for so many needs and they are so perfectly resilient to so many elements (like the sunburn I got yesterday, oops).  We can enhance them to feel more pleasure or accommodate our own ideals of aesthetics for our enjoyment.  I eat a variety of foods to feel good not to stay thin.  I value my body. My hope is that you value yours.
Sugar-Plum Spice Cake with Caramel Icing
For the cake
½  cup sorghum flour
½ cup brown rice flour (here is the sugar part)
1 cup tapioca flour
¾ cup brown sugar
½ tsp xanthan gum
½ tsp salt
1  ½  tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (Here is the spice part)
¼ tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg (I used more because my baby poured in about a tablespoon, but it was fine)
1 cup of buttermilk
1 cup of canola or light olive oil
1 ½ cups of prunes (the plums)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
For the icing
¼ cup of butter
½ cup of buttermilk
1 cup brown or white sugar
1 tbls light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
Place prunes in small pot and cover with water, juice or wine. Bring to a boil and remove from heat and let steep while you mix the dry ingredients.  Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.  Beat eggs then add oil and buttermilk along with vanilla.  Mash prunes with fork or other masher. Add prunes to wet ingredients and combine.  Mix the wet ingredients with dry being careful not to over mix.  Pour into greased 13x9 inch baking dish.  Place in a 300 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. 
During the last few minutes of baking, combine all icing ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil.  When mixture starts to boil let caramelize into a very light brown and remove from heat.  It will be slightly foamy. Take cake out of oven and pour icing while both are warm.  Enjoy with a glass of cold milk.  Enjoyment factor is mostly sense of taste.  Invite a friend over and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment