Thursday, April 1, 2010

Torta de Huevo

When I was a child, my mother's side of the family would get together on Good Friday for the Good Friday Dinner. They were all Catholic at one time, but stopped practicing long ago. However, they would still make this elaborate meal on a day that most Catholics are fasting and mourning. The foods showcased in this meal are traditional Lenten food choices in this region. They include Torta de Huevo, Fried Salmon Patties (salmon from a can, fresh fish in New Mexico was not readily available or very expensive), Quelites, and Beans with or without Chicos, and of course a dessert termed as Sopa. I could never figure this one out because sopa means soup in Spanish.

The one food that I want to feature is Torta de Huevo. This dish (at least here in Central NM) is whipped egg whites reconstituted with their yolks and then spoonfulls of it is placed in hot oil to cook. After cooked, we smother them with Chile Colorado (Red Chile from the pods and re-hydrated if not fresh), serve with a ladle of pinto beans and eat.

When I was little, I didn't like eggs at all in any shape or form. My aunt would tell me that she is making Easter Eggs. She would break out her hand mixer beat egg whites until they were stiff add the egg yolks and drop the mixture in hot oil. As I watched the batter puff up in the pan I actually got excited to eat them and promise to try the Easter eggs. After they were cooked, I would try them and spit it back out.

Well a couple of pregnancies later and I really look forward to Lent so that I can eat them. It is funny that I actually look forward to a food during Lent. Torta de Huevo almost defeats the purpose of fasting during the Lenten season.

No comments:

Post a Comment