Sunday, August 18, 2013

New Week, New Challenge. Let's go Paleo!

So I often hear all about the Paleo diet (Paleolithic)  From my understanding this diet helps to eliminate gut inflammation due to legumes, grains, dairy and refined sugars.  There is a lot more to it and with some research I do agree with.  However, I do believe that this diet has its faults.  Not all diets fix all people. 

The premise to the paleo diet is that our ancestry is not accustomed to eating cereal grains like wheat, oats and corn nor legumes.  Both are heavy in phytic acid which prevents mineral and vitamin absorption and I believe is the culprit to gut discomfort because we cannot break it down in one of our stomachs since we only have one stomach.  Ok, I agree with that.  It also inhibits enzymes such as amylase and pepsin that breakdown proteins in starches like wheat and proteins.  In compound form, phytate also binds with important minerals such as calcium and magnesium making them unavailable for absorption as well. 

Paleo diets also eliminate dairy because lactase and casein, found in dairy, are also hard on the gut according to paleo eaters.  Studies are being done on why, but in short.  Lactase, the breaker of lactose is not produced in as much quantity as we age.  Casein, the protein I believe causes problems similar to that of gluten in wheat intolerant folks.
 
My biggest questions are that many of us here in Nuevo Mexico took a huge part in the agricultural revolution for efficiency.  American Indians have had agricultural staples for thousands of years and it was not until the introduction of processed foods when the U.S. migrated Natives into reservations that they have had serious health problems.  I think that there are other methods to being able to eating grains such as sprouting and fermenting, eating legumes, such as soaking, and eating dairy such as adding beneficial bacteria or consuming raw dairy already containing beneficial bacteria.  Let’s go!

My menu for the week is here.
I will be saving my meat bones and making a broth from them
I am allowing myself coffee and occasional glass of wine
Nut butters and flours make a good sub for grain flours, but not the same texture
Dates, honey and maple syrup in moderation will be my sweeteners

References:
1. Weston A. Price Foundation, 2010
2. Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans1–Bohn T and others. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2004 79:418 –23.

No comments:

Post a Comment