Friday, December 30, 2011

Resolve to Get Cookin'


My Christmas Present...Love it.
It is almost the New Year and I am struggling with a topic to write about.  I have not ventured out too much after Christmas because we are pretty happy at home enjoying the holiday vacation.  However, I am really thankful that I can practice my culinary skills in more familiar territory some good ole healthy cooking.  After Christmas, I made a lentil vegetable soup, cioppino, an awesome roasted chicken some grainy goodness gluten free breads, and tonight it is brown rice stuffed peppers with grass fed beef.  Don’t get me wrong, I have really enjoyed all of the confections of the holiday season and I still indulge occasionally, but I feel best when I eat my healthier goodies.  

Ok. It is time to do the cliché thing and confess my resolutions for 2012.  I know it is cliché, but I really like the symbolism of change that accompanies the New Year.  I actually stuck to my resolutions last year, which was to get more organized and minimize my tendency to stress out.  Doing this helped me focus on some really enjoyable and productive things.  I also got some little surprises along the way that I didn’t even resolve to do.  

Of course, there are some things that I did want to do that I just could not get accomplished because of fear of failure.  So I think a good resolution, would be to overcome the fear of failure and punch it in the face.  I also want to improve my relationships with friends and family.  There isn’t anything really wrong, but I need to visit with them more.  Lastly, my husband and I need a date night every month. No questions asked.  

What are your resolutions?  Don’t do too many so you can welcome life’s little surprises.

Hmmm. A recipe
I got a an awesome cookbook for Christmas featuring my fave TV chef, Nadia G from Bitchin’ Kitchen. Get the book.  This chicken cooked quickly and it was delicious!

One whole 5 lb chicken (organic preferably)
Wash and dry bird and rub butter under the skin
Add one cut up lemon, onion, garlic and some fresh herb sprigs like Thyme, rosemary
Add salt, pepper, and smoked paprika on the top and massage it with olive oil.
Bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Don’t forget to use that meat thermometer for 180 degrees.  Juices should be clear. 
Serve with some tasty pan fried potatoes and  a whole mess of hot and buttered string beans…Thanks to this guy

No comments:

Post a Comment