Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tummy Tonic


I am so glad to be home.  We went to Wichita, Kansas for my son’s national track meet and I was expecting green grass, cooler temperatures, and some rain, but these poor folks are experiencing a terrible drought with record temperatures.   We didn’t see a day under 110 degrees the entire time we were there.  Not good weather to have a huge track meet!  Kids were collapsing on the track after their run brown grass everywhere, and the Arkansas River, which is usually filled bank to bank, was a trickle of water. 
I was really hoping that I would have some unique and different foods to report back on this blog, but nothing really impressed me all that much. I was really disappointed in their Gluten-free choices.  Upon doing some gluten-free restaurant research, we found that gluten free friendly really meant that my husband could have only about two salads on the menu.  I did find a gluten-free blog, but it was towards the last day. We did find a pretty decent pizza place that deserves some kudos—The Wichita Pizza Company. We also ate at a great barbecue joint across the street from a grain elevator.  Both restaurants were locally owned and in probably the not so popular sections of town.  This really got me thinking…
There are so many corporate restaurants in the nicer neighborhoods, but I do believe that there are a lot of people who search out the local holes in the wall only to be disappointed.  I would expect that various municipal chambers of commerce would assist more local small business owners become more viable in the more desired neighborhoods too. 
 I see this in Albuquerque as well, but I do have to say I am biased because I know my town and I don’t see this as often, but I have to say some of my favorite restaurants are in what is termed,  the war zone.  Although, I have to report that there are many people in the “war zone, who are aiming to make this a sought after part of town and I hope the city of Albuquerque is helping them.  I can definitely say that some of my least favorite parts of town are flooded with corporate restaurants and I stay away because they really hurt my tummy with all their processed salty fare that they make us ingest.  When I think this could be a whole other topic on its own and I might go on about it another time.  
I felt icky when I got home and I had to eat some beans and rice and a tonic salad to calm the icky. 
Refreshing Summer Salad (Sorry no picture)
1 half a large cucumber
1 small tomato
A handful of shredded lettuce
A half a lemon
2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
A few basil leaves, parsley, fresh mint or dill
Salt and pepper to taste
Dice veggies and place in bowl.  Place yogurt in bowl add lemon juice and seasoning and combine with veggies. 
A weekly challenge for you…
Yogurt is known for its entire tummy calming and gut cleansing properties because of the live bacteria cultures inside of it.  It is known for treating many intestinal ailments including diarrhea.   It is rich in protein, calcium, and B vitamins. It is also delicious both savory and sweet.  According to the International Journal of Obesity, consuming yogurt each day does help you lose weight.   It is a great alternative to milk for those who are lactose intolerant.
Try using yogurt in breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner. Tell me what you made.
I have lunch up above and another hint is that you can use it in place of mayo in a lot of dressings.

No comments:

Post a Comment