Wednesday, May 18, 2011

No Guts, No Glory in the Garden

Aahh…Or at least that is what I should be saying since this is the first week that I do not have to go to class or do assignments. I enjoy school and learned a lot, but I really need a break…or so I thought. This blog entry is so late. I am slacking. I am still playing catch up and finally finished planting all of my summer veggies. A little late, but the danger of frost barely passed which a strange thing for New Mexico. Luckily we have long hot summers so this should not affect the growing season. On a side note, the 2011-12 Farmers' Almanac has predicted a cooler year. (I am such a nerd, I read the Farmer's Almanac like I am some sort of real farmer. Don't hate!) I am proud to say that I have been able to harvest some arugula and it was dang tasty. I can't wait to make a pesto out of it.

Being that this has been the largest garden I have every grown I have definitely been busy. Since eliminating undue distress in my life, like my old job, I have freed up brain room for more projects like this, but it does come with its own frustrations. However, the real frustration is that I have to trust something besides myself and it is intangible. Like a baby, I have to care for it and provide nutrients and a safe environment, but then leave it to do its own thing. Gardening teaches me a lot about patience and faith, although, I am guilty of digging up seeds to check if they are growing which kills them. I have this terribly bad habit of needing to control everything and this has never been a pleasant thing because it launches me in constant worry and blocks out any support that others want to give. Aside from that, I will eventually relent and lose control using tools like procrastination, hostility, and impatience. So I am learning in the garden. Pulling weeds really satisfies this urge. (I know it feels good because I often see my sister, Sage randomly pulling weeds in random places including my yard.)

I think in the next few years, I will hopefully gain more perspective in faith because the design of growing things. I used to plant seeds and take for granted that they will grow if watered properly, which is true. But what is inside the seed is miraculous. It has enough starch to bring it to life and emerge from the dark earth. The seedling has the strength to push through the ground to get some sun. I get really excited when I see the cracks in the ground knowing that a sprout is coming up. I can see why poets, artists, and musicians mention gardens in their works. I don't know if others feel exactly the same, but I have a hunch that this could really help build self-efficacy, trust, and patience in those whose lives experience more hardship than joy. Researching this will be a large part of my summer. Okay, recipe time…

Spring Pea Pesto

10 oz of sweet peas shelled and blanched. The easiest way is to get peas from the freezer section and thaw.

¼ -½ c grated parmesan cheese

1 clove garlic

A little salt

A lot of pepper

1-2 tbl of fresh mint

¼ or more of olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. I imagine if you mince the garlic, you could easily smash with a bean smasher, fork, or the end of a wooden rolling pin. Add more olive oil to desired consistency and store in airtight container. I boiled up some red potatoes and used this as a base for my own potato salad. I also spread it on bread. I bet it would taste great on a ham sandwich. A delicious addition to pasta with sautéed onions and lemon zest. Use a good olive oil. Trader Joe's has a great special harvest olive oil which is very fruity and peppery. Whole Foods 365 brand of olive oil is also really good. Both are cheaper than olive oil at the standard grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment