Monday, March 7, 2011

Food, Family, and Celebrations

Warning! Warning! The blog you are about to read may cause minor indigestion and the urge to overeat.  It has been one celebratory event after another and I am really looking forward to making dinner tonight.  Not that I don’t enjoy family, friends and food, but I am guilty of overindulgence during these events and I know I am not alone.  This week, I have been looking at research involving peer groups influence on overeating or eating highly caloric foods that lack nutrients and this behavior is detrimental to our bodies, but we get so much pleasure out of these situations and this is not a new trend. Feasting with friends and family has been going on for centuries, but it was after World War II when it became so much easier with safer food handling and storage, microwave ovens, eating out and the rise of fast food restaurant industry.  Add symbolism, meaning and social bonding and then the tendency to overeat is very strong. 
 I thoroughly enjoy making something rich despite the calories and fat and I want everyone to eat it.  Food preparation for me is symbolic for love and cultural pride.  When I eat or make food I approach it from many angles. Immediate family meals tend to be much healthier because my goal is to make a food taste good, but also provide essential nutrients for my family.  However this is not the same for the extended family celebrations. I am not as health conscious.  I will cook a meal that “shakes up the structure of everyday life,” meaning that there will be some indulgence and definitely fun. Lately, I have been having too much fun. I really do believe that everyday life should be taking care of yourself and enjoying the bounty of healthful foods that are available to us. As the Lenten season begins, many of us will make a more conscious effort to be healthier since a large portion of Lenten promises have to do with giving up unhealthy habits and we will do this together. At least I know that since I don’t eat alone, I won’t die alone.
Now let’s take a look at why I need to eat better this Lenten season: What I ate this past week and I tell you I am feeling it.
Sunday Feb 27- Two servings of a cheesy creamy chicken pasta with lots of butter and bacon: The only thing healthy about this was the red peppers. One tiny slice of orange honey chocolate cheesecake, one bite of chocolate cheesecake, and two slices of Italian wedding cake, two glasses of wine.  A couple of sugar cookies.  I did have some green stuff in between, but talk about indulgence. I also tasted a lot of cake batter while I made the desserts. (Stephanie's Wedding Shower)
Feb 28- More pasta and more cake (leftovers)
March 1-Too much coffee, but I ate really healthy today
March 2-Too much coffee and wine
March 3-A huge burger at Fuddruckers and French fries dipped in cheese (social event)
March 4-Tucanos Brazilian Grill, need I say more. One glass of wine and one gin and tonic (social event)
March 5-I had a little brisket and pasta salad, strawberries, one beer, then it all went out the window when I found out my cousin made the chocolate cake (social event)
March 6-Cheese fondue (very little, my tummy had enough) 3 glasses of wine (obviously not enough of this), one slice of pizza (social event)
Let’s just say that I really need a break.  I don’t eat like this ever, but we have had so many social events and I am feeling pretty sick.  It amazes me that so many indulge like this every day.  I have a food hangover so instead of a recipe here is a healthy menu for me this week.
March 7-Roasted Chicken with Garlic and Olives, Stewed Celery with tomatoes, Crispy gentle green salad
March 8-Vieja Ropa (Brisket w/vegetables), salsa, cabbage, corn tortillas, beans, avocado, and mangos
March 9 (Ash Wednesday)-Five Veggie Spaghetti, modest salad w/walnuts
March 10-Five Veggie GF Pizza, more salad
March 11 (First Friday of Lent)-Beans and Greens w/brown rice and green chile and a little cheddar or avocado




No comments:

Post a Comment