Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Eat Red before Easter

When I worked in a shoe store, a lot of the older ladies would scoff at white or patent leather shoes before Easter.  As young as I was, I thought that this was silly fashion faux pas that I never followed, but my husband makes fun of me for wearing socks with sandals.  I am definitely not the authority on fashion.  However, this is something that I have always followed with red chile.  I do indulge in red chile throughout the year, I will sprinkle chile powder on an egg or roasted corn and will eat a good enchilada, but I eat it so much more during the winter. It must be the warm and bright, smoky flavor that will cheer up any dreary day.  However, Easter seems to be the benchmark that gives me reason to stop eating it and I am not sure why, I just do and I don’t think I am the only one.
Perhaps before we had mass produced chile, growers harvested green chile peppers more so than red  because red takes longer to turn and storages ran out after Lent, when we consume lots of red chile in this region.  A typical Lenten meal in our region is salmon croquettes or similar, quelites- a green, spinach or lamb’s quarters sautéed with onion and beans, red chile sauce smothering tortas de huevos, a deep-fried whipped egg white mixed with the yolks.  It is safe to say that these are cultural foods that I believe are very healthy.  I really need to remember to take a picture of the dish before we eat it.
I read about three or four articles about social determinants of health and the contributions to the obesity trend affecting this nation.  I am just as much on the frontlines of learning how to reduce the diseases associated with this trend, but the articles made some personal attacks on cultural traditions and how they are a social determinant to bad dietary behaviors. I was actually pretty offended after reading some of these, especially the so-called researcher attacking beans and rice as a detrimental combination.  I would hope that some of these researchers would at least try to do what my cousin and I talked about, which was to actually learn about the community before telling them what to eat and how to eat it.
Don’t get me wrong, I love all things healthy and I am very proactive about my health, but encouraging a varied diet such as the meal I described above serves many of us in more ways than just physically.  I know that there is the argument that we should not eat for comfort which is something I grapple with.  If we only eat to maintain health, then why do we have such a problem?  We have such an emotional attachment to food. We can’t just give that up. I really hope to find out how we can do this and still maintain our health and hopefully not offend anyone in the process.
Side note:  I am still working on the new look, but homework got the best of me so I could not devote a ton of time into learning html code.  Just keep reading and changes will come.
Here is my varied menu for the week in case you are looking for ideas
Monday-Thrice Rice Spring Veggie Casserole w/green salad-Will post recipes, but basically I use wild rice, jasmine rice, and brown rice with at least 5 different vegetables to make this dish.  Vegetables I used were mushrooms, onions, asparagus, broccoli, spinach and carrots
Tuesday-Leftover Lenten meal-for description see above
Wednesday- Green Chile Stew w/gf rolls and green salad-This is another opportunity I use to throw in vegetables aside from potatoes, chile, onions and tomatoes.  I really enjoy cabbage or kale too. A sweet potato makes a difference in the flavor. I often throw in corn and beans too.
Thursday-Polenta Lasagna w/Italian sausage and Broccoli Parmesan salad-Instead of pasta we use slices of polenta lightly brushed with olive oil and either baked or fried up. I spoon on some 5 veggie marinara sauce, a cottage cheese or low-fat ricotta mixed with egg, garlic, some parmesan, salt and pepper, and sprinkle mozzarella and cooked sausage. I also added spinach leaves.
Friday-Tuna Casserole w/5 veggies and Lemony Green Beans (Not in season, but on sale)
Saturday- Bean tostadas w/salsa and avocado, sautéed corn, spinach and onions
Sunday- Ground Lean Beef Sloppy Joes with green peppers, onions, celery, and shredded carrots, GF buns and more lemony green beans
Have a great week.  If you have quick, healthy recipes to share please do, I would like to try them.         

No comments:

Post a Comment