Sunday, February 6, 2011

To Melt the Ice in Our Hearts

We just recovered from some record-breaking cold. According to the Albuquerque Journal, places in New Mexico like Angel Fire and Eagle’s Nest had the coldest lows in the nation last week. Here in Albuquerque, the cold crippled our government and school systems. Our governor actually declared a state of emergency because there were some communities in New Mexico that did not have gas to heat their homes. I know that there are places in the country that experience this every year, but we desert people are not accustomed to this. At least not since 1971, which is the last time it was ever this cold. I think that small catastrophes like this, although uncomfortable, bring out the humility in us. Sometimes we need a lesson that affirms we cannot or will not control everything except our attitudes.

I did not feel sorry for our family at all as I turned the thermostat down. We have options like blankets and wearing more clothes. If our gas was turned off, we had a place to go. I thought about those who were without. What did our homeless people do to withstand this cold? I know that some definitely put themselves in hospitals or jail. I read another blog post, in which the author explained how she drove around to find a homeless person in her neighborhood because she was worried about the person's condition in these frigid temperatures.

It made me think about a story I read as a child and again to my son, The Little Match Girl. The story is about a poor young girl selling matches in the street on a cold winter night. Since she was unable to sell the matches, she ends up finding a nook and lights the matches envisioning warmth, food, and love. The next morning, passersby find her dead. It is a story that hopefully brings out compassion in people. It teaches us that with a warm attitude, we can really live our dreams. I connected this story to the scripture I heard at mass yesterday, “You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? Compassion=salt. When we reach out to each other—including husbands, wives, families and friends—we season each other. We have full flavor. We are not bland. Salt will melt icy hearts. Now on to commit this to my own daily dealings and I will start with breakfast.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment