Sunday, January 23, 2011

Comfort Food

First, I have to spill it in review of the week. I officially was accepted in my graduate program, but I really had to hit the ground running. I go part-time, but it is intense. I am humbled at so much that I do not know that I feel a little insecure about it. I have been reading and writing and researching, but I have not found my niche. Time management has been a struggle and I am trying to find a part-time job. In this economy, that is not an easy task especially if one is picky about schedule. The most exciting event this week had absolutely nothing to do with my life, thank God because it involved some ex-boyfriend of some other lady dousing himself and vehicle with gasoline, driving into her home and lighting a match. Thank the lord that no one was seriously injured. The boyfriend lived two blocks from me and he spoke with me all summer about girlfriend. I often tried to avoid him because his topics were awkward. The girlfriend lived four houses down from me. Let's just say it was quite the sight to see. I was blown away to know that something that seemed to be pure gossip turned out to be a cry for help. I feel a little guilty in some way. He was a very lonely person and a Viet Nam veteran. Although what he did was seriously violent and psychotic, it indicates some serious emotional pain.

With all this, I needed a little something that had nothing to do with school. I took my kids to the library. (I know, how does a library have nothing to do with school?) Well, if one checks out a book purely for enjoyment, that's how. I checked out French Women for all Seasons by Mireille Guiliano, which is a supplement to the best seller, French Women Don't Get Fat. The best way for me to explain this book is that it is a concept book to enjoy all things beautiful about being a woman. She asserts that the path to a healthy life and trim figure is to enjoy foods at the peak of their season and to stop denying pleasurable foods or feeling guilty about indulging a little and I stress "little." She uses zero science and includes rich desserts in her recipes. She also includes tidbits and advice for fashion, which is unlike any diet book I have ever seen. My favorite is that she makes sure to include a glass of wine with every dinner. Now I read all sorts of diet plans and I have to say that this one was very refreshing. She discusses portion sizes and includes numerous fruits and vegetables in her sample menus. She ridicules American diets because we eat in such a rush and that our food ways are often a battle and source of guilt other than a comfort and pleasure if done in moderation. Eating for need and pleasure rather than eating for need, want and/or guilt is her motto.

I can see many dieters, dieticians, and some medical professionals outraged at her motto except she is not saying to eat for comfort and many of us do it. I often question the strict dogma about eating for comfort. Since birth, humans eat for comfort. It starts from the comforting sensation of suckling and feelings of touch and smell. This doesn't just go away. However, I also remember reading research stating that toddlers eat until they feel satiated even if they like the food. They simply stop eating so easily. This stops somewhere around three years of age. We eat to comfort ourselves or because we are bored. We also eat in social functions, which is also comforting. Now I definitely don't agree with eating for boredom, but the other two, I am not so sure about. I am a believer that eating as well as cooking can be artistic and that there are a variety of foods that will match moods. Let's just hope the mood isn't always, "I had a bad day at work." or "My boyfriend and I just got into a fight." Even worse, "Let's have an eating contest?"

If I eat for comfort when one of these moods strike, I integrate food for comfort. I try to say, I had a bad day at work so I think I will make myself something special for dinner or I may have a cup of ice cream with fresh bananas for dessert. If my husband and I fight, I might indulge in some cheesy pizza with veggies. As for eating contests, I will lose. This morning, I am cooking up one of my favorite breakfasts, oatmeal with stewed prunes. It is very sweet and very healthy. I use juice, orange zest and a little red wine to stew the prunes. This is comfort food for me. So if some emotional pain strikes, eat a little something. Stay away from the booze and of course the gasoline. You could indulge in my favorite comfort foods of all time, beans and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment